I'm in the middle of reading a book by Betty Levitov called Africa on Six Wheels: A Semester on Safari. A memoir of a teacher's 3 mo. trek across Africa with about a dozen college students. Two chapters of particular interest "Nai-robbery" and "Captain Simba and the Stone House Gang." Did you all know that Lamu became a World Heritage site in 2001? Anyway, the book is a quick read with observations on places and experiences that are familiar to all us RPCVs.
--Koco
P.S.
I finally got through to my friend Julia in Nairobi after weeks of worry about how my Kikuyu friends are faring during the unrest. She said things are calm in Nairobi, however, the Rift Valley is still in turmoil. But, even where there is calm, everyone is on edge.
1 comment:
I'm sure those of you were who stationed on the coast remember Lydia Mbithi, the secretary in the Mombasa PC office.
I had maintained e-mail contact with Lydia for several years but had lost touch with her in the late 1990s.
I recently discovered that she had gotten a new job with the American Embassy in Nairobi and was injured in the terrorist bombing that happened there in 1998.
I have sent an inquiry to the State Department to find out more about her whereabouts and haven't heard back from them. I will post any updates as soon as I receive them.
Post a Comment