
That is jack's Tucson at left. It will always be home to my 4 year old, he has a building there, certain trees, a mall, Sun River Apartments.....forever. He moved East with mommy, sister, and lil-brother in June. Daddy came in September, back to the heartland. it was a tough sell for me having ran as fast as i could, then driven likewise, outta there in '79. But ailing parents and a pledge to follow them home, brought me back to Indiana. I'm still trying to figure it out. Within 3 months I got a house, did not really buy it...does anyone do that anymore..., moved by myself 1,850 miles (the Penske truck rocked -- made it to Indiana in about 45 hours straight through....a little crooked in Oklahoma), unpacked and flew back to Tucson for a month and a half, quit a good job, flew back to Indiana thanks to Southwest overselling, looked for work for 1 month and started stocking shelves at Kroger 3rd shift. Seems like I was doing this same thing, almost a bunch of years ago when I was 17...freaky.
I was in Dakar, Senegal in 2003 when my pops called asking if I was ever coming home...seems like I left with out telling them in '79, boy was I in trouble. Their health and ability to care for each other in question, they were reaching out.....a week later I'd left my business of 8 years, packed 4 suitcases and Sharon up and landed in Tucson, truly another part of the planet.
It is mofo hot in Tucson, and people are moving there like hell. All the california exiles and mexican-norte hopefuls have changed the place dramatically. Houses everywhere, 1,500 square feet for 230,000 and fools are buying them, or trying too. Absolutely nuts.
And today it is mofo cold...my wife wanted seasons and cold..i tried to warn her..and it's only the first week or two of winter. We have survived worse, but damn I hate to be cold. Started at netfor LLC., last week. A small Indiana grown teleservices company eyeing growth, lucky for me. The "internationalists" that convinced me Indiana had changed and INDY was a place to be having moved several rungs down the ladder on the I know who can use you scale aside, we'll make a go of it here and try and grow something back home (Senegal) now. AND you thought Kenya was quirky...sheeesh. Spent nearly 8 years there from '96. Survived, got divorced, got married, and got out with the clothes on our backs.....but more on that later.
1 comment:
John: Ever the globetrotter, I see. Good luck with taking care of your folks. Looking forward to hearing many more stories.
Post a Comment